on the details of
The Sustainable Development Centre (SDC) is a group of like-minded people who are dedicated towards working for community development and children in particular. The members of the organization are all local people who work voluntarily for the development of their state. SDC was established in the year 1990 and registered under the Manipur Societies Registration Act, 1989. The organization started working on issues like health, socio-economic development, human rights, gender education and peace promotion programs. Lamabam Pishak Singh, is the Project Holder of SDC. He has also become a trainer for LCP (Local Capacity for Peace), gender, conflict analysis, under UNM-M. He worked with the marginalized community and was the part of movement on AFSPA, Globalization, human right issues. He worked very closely with the marginalized community of the LOKTAK lake area and organized the marginalized community for their rights. He has also been involved in MACR and prime moved the district process of MACR at Bishnupur district.
SDC is currently working in 9 villages (5 new villages selected this year along with the previous 4) in the Bishnupur district. These new intervention villages are adjacent to the old villages. The new area is densely populated by schedule caste communities. There is low rate of enrollment in schools, high incidences of drop out and out of school children. The source of income is mostly pulling rickshaws, running ration shops, selling fish and vegetables, money lending, weaving, agriculture etc. Children are affected by HIV/AIDS. Non effective implementation of social welfare schemes failed to provide substantial employment opportunities. Children in most of the cases are unable to continue their studies and drop out from schools. Child trafficking, child orphans, girl child discrimination, child domestic workers are other prominent issues in the intervention area.
- Building and strengthening Community Based Organizations, People’s Organizations, Voluntary Organizations, Women groups, Self Help Groups etc in rights based approach.
- Understanding the situation and impact of globalization, gender inequality, AFSPA, Arms conflict for long term intervention to establish peace and harmony.
- Form community platform for collective movement without violence to ensure human values.
- More alignment with alliance [MACR] to raise voice against exploitation and child rights violations.
Sustainable Development Centre is working in the field of community development and people’s empowerment for establishing justice and equity for children since the last 8 years. The organization has strong linkages with the community and is close to the people at the grass root level. SDC has been able to create an environment within the community that is child friendly.
Some of the achievements for last year are:
- Enrollment of children - 52% coverage increased among the children in age group 3-5 years in ICDS centre in 4 villages.
- 506 children immunized in comparison to last year’s status of 125 by the government health workers.
- Incidence of common diseases among the age group of 0-18 years has reduced by 5% in 4 operational villages.
- 40% increase in enrollment of children in government primary schools.
- 16% reduction in drop out status of children in government schools.
- 27% enrollment of children in the operational villages of the project area.
- No new cases of child trafficking identified from the operational villages.
- 5 children rescued and rehabilitated at the community level.
- 350 children are engaged regularly in the children’s collective process of SDC at community level.
- Direct action with the children for creating the children’s collective and to create a safe environment for developing the voices of children in the society.
- Perspective building among the youth and developmental workers on child right issues.
- Mobilization through people’s organizations on issues of human rights, child rights and to acquire the basic facilities for survival and development.
- Advocacy on the issue of protection of child rights and right to education through community mobilization.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Development
- Right to Survival
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Annual Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics